Monday, August 11, 2008

Inheritance: sense of humor

Gracie has decided that she wants a betta fish. I don't know where this current obsession came from, but she asks about it frequently.

This weekend, the conversation in the van went like this:

Gracie: Can we get a betta?

Me: No.

Gracie: Why not?

Me: Because it's something else we'll have to keep up with, and it's something else for you to cry over when it dies.

Gracie: How long do they live?

Me: I dunno. Two or three years, maybe?

Gracie: So it'll be a while before it dies, and I won't cry.

Me: Except that you're not taking into account Colin dropping a radio into the bowl.

Gracie: Colin's not going to turn them into fish sticks.

She's already developing a dark sense of humor, and she's only nine. She comes by it honestly. Just last week, when her mother was stressing over starting with a new workgroup, Gracie suggested that, if the new group gives Amanda any trouble, she should simply "Punch them in their grill," complete with mimicked illustration. I have no idea where she got that.

1 comment:

SpeakerTweaker said...

There's just no way she shares in our Good Name.

I mean, Father would be just devastated by such villainy!

Ah, who'm I kidding? She's one of us, alright.

Tell 'er I love 'er.



tweaker